meta data for this page
List of Games #1 with focus on Status
Length: 3 hours
Introduction for promoting this topic
Status Workshop - On Saturday
Hallo Rice Grains,
behind every interaction onstage there is an expression of status, whether it is conscious or subconscious. In our everyday life, status is also always present and it is important whether we choose to be aware of them or not. Having this awareness shapes more authentic and intrinsically compelling relationships onstage. It also provides us new insights into our behaviors and motivations and builds up new language with our scene partners. In this workshop we will explore status both as an observer and as a participant.
Beginners and experienced players are more than welcome!
We will meet this Saturday at 15:00 near the bridge at the Englisch Garten:
Add link to location
Due to the Corona regulations, we will have a maximum of 15 participants and we need to log who comes. Reserve your place here:
Add link to meetup event
Because we are going to get into the present moment while playing the first games, please be on time. If you have flu or cold symptoms during the 3 days before, we will be thankful if you stay at home. Next Saturday and Tuesday there will be improv again!
Looking forward to have fun with you!
Mental or Physical games in circles
- Circle Up: Moving your legs and arm faster. Move your right arm counting back from 7 to 1, move your left hand counting back from 7 to 1, move your right leg countin from 7 to 1, move your left leg counting from 7 to 1. Then repeat faster counting from 6 to 1, 5 to 1, continue until counting only one.
- Samurai or Hi-Ha-Ho: On player says “Ho” and points with his hands formind a sword to another player. This one defends himself with his sword -pointing his two palms to the air - saying “Hi”. The two player on his sides cut his body with a “sword” saying “Ha”. Then he points to the next player saying “Ho” and using his palms as a sword
- Synchroapplause: You make eye contact with the player on your left and applause synchronously. Then he does the same with his left player. If you applause two time, you change the direction. You can also add an asociation word if the group is unconcentrate
- 3 Different Sequences with a cities, fruits and cloths (movements, drinks, food, animals): People are standing in a circle. First each person says a city and choose the next person without repeating until the first one is choosen. Each can mark that they are already choosen. Now fruits with a new random sequence are choosen. Finally cloths with a new random sequence are choosen. The first person starts slowly all sequence und each person has to listen to the fruit, city and cloth of the person before him and they continue the sequence with his fruit, city and cloths. Each person has to check that the next one received the word. Make eye contact and concentrate.
Individual games with movement to wake up
- Touch the left knee of the partner: Players are in pairs. The right feet of each one stays touching the floor and the game is to touch left knee of the partner five times
- Walk around the room with different music which leads to different moods. We are at the street and we can decently dance but not exagerate
- Walk and catch: Everyone walks around the room randomly and choose another person but don't follow him/her. When the music stops we have to touch the choosen person and he/she has to stop on the place. Groups form when the music stop
Games to scope with our own mistakes
- 1, 2, direction, 3, 4, 5, 6, direction: All players are standing in a circle. The first player starts counting “one” putting his hand on his left shoulder, then the player on this left says “two” putting his hand on his left shoulder, the third one says “three” puting both arms horizontal in front of him with the upper one indicating the direction. The next player says “four” with this arm on his shoulder (right or left depending on the direction). Then it comes five and six. For “seven” the player has to put his arms horizontal and decide with them who is next. After seven, the players start counting from one again. If someone is too slow or makes a mistakes he has to run around the circle. The goal is to generate chaos and accept our own mistakes.
Games in pairs
- Action Emotion Detail One partner starts telling a story. The second one can say:
- Forward, the story must move to another topic giving more emotion
- Colour: Give more details about the current scene
- Emotions: Exagerate the feelings of the people or characters
Playing Scenes - Status
- Status in a row: The players stand up in two rows. One is for high status and the other one for lower status. Each pair of players face each others and play a scene with the status of their row. After the scene they go to the opposite row. In a second round the players choose the status and the audience guess the status and give a grade: 1 for lowest status and 10 for higher.
- 2nd Round: Both players rise their status
- 3rd Round: Both players lower their status
- 4rd Round: There is a status change
- High and low status at a shop: While one is the saleman, the other one is the customer. One has a high status and the other one low status during the whole scene. At the end, the public says if how the status was. The player decide together what is sold in the shop
- Hackordnung Pecking Order II (In German) The player with the higher status can only speak with the middle one, the middle one is the only who speaks with the lower one. They a bad boys and the public choose what the will do.
- The dictator and his assistant: There are two pairs. The first one plays a scene where the dictator gets angry (The coffee is too cold) without expressing any emotion. The second pair of players has to replay the scene showing emotion. (note: once Flo did this game without the theme of dictactor-assistant, which also worked very nice. Maybe the essence of this game is just the emotion play, with any kind of setting: first without emotions, then with a lot of emotion)
- Statuskette (In German) with many players with and without place changes. Who comes, has always a higher status
Second warm-up if needed
Playing Scenes: (Topic: Storystelling)
Playing Scenes - No topic
- Speech and Die: Four players are on stage. The moderator points to one of them using his arm, he starts talking until the moderator's arm is up. Then a second player continues the story. If one of them says “and” or “then”, they have to leave the game. There is competition in this game
- Storystelling with sounds: Two people play a scene while two players have their eyes closed. The scene must have less words and a lot of sounds. When the moderator applauses, the roles are changed and the second pairs must continue the scene as they image. Then the moderator applauses again, and the original pair comes back. At the end, the second pair must say what the topic of the scene was about
- Puppets: Two players are puppets, they can speak but not move. Two other players have to indicate them how to move but can't speak
The group enjoyed these games