meta data for this page
List of Games #14 with focus on singing
Length: This page is still work in progress
The goal is to be confident singing improvised lyrics in front of strangers. No singing technics are teached on these games. If you want to sing the right tones, you have to take a singing course.
Because only simple rhythms are needed, every player can bring percussion instruments and play during the games.
Musical Improv Workshop
Let me show you how fun and easy is to sing improvised songs! Singing with other players in a safe environment where mistakes are promoted is always fun, recharges your energy and expand your comfort zone.
If you play any instrument at any level, just bring it and get loose playing it in front of an audience.
Meet new people and open yourself to new challenges.
Individual games to wake up
- Choir of Angels1): All the singers are in a circle and the musician plays an easy chord progression and they have to harmonize with the changing chors by saying “Ah…”, “Ooo…”, etc.
- After a while the musician plays another chord progression and each player adds a line to the song to tell a story. While one player is singing the other ones are harmonizing.
- Song in Gribberish2): The musician plays a simple 8 or 16 bars chord progression. Each player sings in gribberisch saying who they are, where, what they do and their emotions
- Each player uses a melody without words
- The musician plays in different ways to accentuate the character
- Walk about3): The players vocalize while walking around while the musician plays gently. They have to hear each other and observe how the sound is different in each corner of the room.
- Then the musician plays a melody around C so they stretch their voices. Afterwards they sing open syllables like moo, zee, so, ta, etc.
- Finally they add characters and locations and start singing like “You are all cowboys”
- It shows the challenges of singing together in different positions.
- Tongue Twisters:4) While one player leads, the rest repeat the tongue twister clearly
Group games in circles
- Hotspot5) / Singing circle: Everyone is standing in a circle. One player goes to the centre and starts singing a famous song, then the group repeats. When he gets stuck, someone rescues him by replacing him in the middle of the circle and singing a new song. The moderator has to try to keep the energy high and intervene if none goes to the centre. After a while, the circle makes a rhythm with the body and the player in the centre has to invent the lyrics to that rhythm. Afterwards he will be rescued by new players who will invent new lyrics which may lead to a change in the pace of the rhythm.
- Association Rhymes:6) The players in a circle tap a mid-tempo. Each player says two words which rhyme on the second and fourth beat
- Example: marsh and harsh, mean and green
- When the group learns to play, the tempo can be faster
- My Name is7) The first player introduces himself with a name which is easy to rhyme. Then each player in turns sing a line describing him using a rhyming word
- Example: My name is Bob, I'm in the mob, I am a slob, My corn's on cob…
- On stage every player can add two sentences to make easier to tell a story
Games in pairs
Playing scenes - Singing
- Chorus singing: Four player are stading on the stage and the audience names a word and an object they want to hear in the song. A musician start a rhythm with 2-3 chords and after a while one of the players has to invent an easy chorus. This chorus is repeated 2-3 times so everyone remembers it. Then each player has to invent a short verse and sing in front of the other three players. After each verse he goes back building a chorus with the other player and the sing the chorus
- Solo singing: One player is stading on the stage and the audience names a word and an object they want to hear in the song. A musician start a rhythm with 2-3 chords and after a while the player has to invent an easy chorus. This chorus is repeated 2-3 times so everyone remembers it. Then the player starts inventing verses which tell a story. When he doesn't know how to continue, he sing the chorus with the audience
- CD Shop: the seller and customer must have a clear goal on the scene
The group enjoyed these games